Saturday, December 6, 2008

Where There's Smoke


I think I've mentioned before that our neighbors like to burn things. Since the rainy season ended last month, there seems to be an unspoken agreement that now is the time to burn anything you no longer want. Leaves, wood, garbage... they don't discriminate.

Quite a few times I've had to close the windows to keep the smoke out, but because of the way our condo is built, it still gets in. And usually by the time I realize it's bad enough to shut them, it's too late. Ibis has come home many nights and wondered why it smells like a campfire inside.

Yesterday, once again, I noticed smoke inside the living room, but when I went to the deck to look, there was nothing there. Then I peeked around the corner and saw huge clouds of white smoke billowing over the hillside. Fire trucks screamed in the distance and I realized this wasn't someone burning leaves. Or if it was, it got out of hand. Again, closing the windows didn't do much good, but fortunately the smoke passed within twenty minutes.

I had just sat back down when I smelled smoke again. I checked from the balcony and this time it was my neighbor (dirty b***ard!). I'm tempted to go talk to these people and beg them to stop, but I don't think it'll do much good. All I can do is pray for a shift in the wind.

21 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

Glad you took some pictures to show us.

Chris said...

I'm in Arizona and it seems that the tradition of burning everything has crossed the border. However, the fire department does not share the same enthusiasm as the locals. Great Blog!

Spy Scribbler said...

Sheesh! I'm pretty sure that's illegal in Ohio. In residential areas or something? I don't know.

That would be awful! My neighbor uses oil to heat her home, and it always smells like a campfire. Even with all our windows closed, we can smell it the instant she turns on her furnace. We can't see it, though.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Hey Travis. I'm happy to share my pain. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Welcome Chris! We had a problem last spring with people burning and the fire department had to keep coming to the same house, but that didn't stop them.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Spy, it's illegal in a lot of places in the US. It's so bad sometimes - I had a headache all day yesterday from the smoke.

We had oil heat in one of the houses I lived in in college, but I don't remember it smelling like campfire. That's tiring, I'm sure.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Wow, that's insane. Surely they aren't oblivious to the smell and smoke themselves. What do they get out of it?

Spy Scribbler said...

I only notice the smell for the first couple weeks (you sorta get used to it), and I think the smell is from what's piped through the chimney, you know? So it smells up the outside, but I'm not sure it smells up the inside. And since it starts smelling in the fall, it matches the season. :-)

Jewel Allen said...

This is common in the Philippines, too. I had forgotten that was the way some little towns take care of their garbage, until I went home last year and saw the tidy little piles in people's yards.

But your neighbor's looks like a smokehouse :-)

Janna Leadbetter said...

I nominated you for a blog award... check out today's post!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Spy, it's like fall in a can. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Pink, growing up it was common in my hometown (Michigan) so I guess I've gotten used to it.

This afternoon someone else was burning and it got so bad I had to leave for several hours. Even now the remnants are giving me a headache.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna! Thanks. :)

*runs off to check*

colbymarshall said...

Yikes! I know that's scary!

Lauren said...

That's so scary. I'm glad that the fire didn't spread.

Robin said...

The pictures are a riot. I'm a firm believer in stupid revenge. Is there any way to smell up their apartment? Mwahahaha!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Colby and Lauren, it's not scary because it's contained in a concrete wall and they are watching it. I just hate the smoke.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Robin, I already have my plan - water balloons. :)

Amy Mullis said...

Send them ugly messages by smoke signal. Apparently that's the only thing they'll understand!

Robin said...

I really like the ugly messages by smoke signal idea. Then you could use water balloons as your finale!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Amy & Robin, LOL!