Several things have happened today - or were planned today - that are firsts for me.
- I heard my first Christmas carols at the grocery store! We only have one radio station here so we aren't inundated with carols 24/7 the way people are in the States. We've had Christmas decorations since September, but this morning I heard my first carols. NOW it's Christmas.
- We're going to Mexico City this weekend! Ibis' brother's new baby is being christened in Morelia this Sunday, and we're going to make it a trip and visit his family in Mexico, as they call it here. (Same way we drop the City in New York). I've only been to the airport in our nation's capital and I'm really excited to get to know the city. You can bet there will be photos.
- Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich was taken into custody early this morning. Now technically this is the second time this has happened to an Illinois governor in the past several years, but it's still so shocking I'm counting it as a first.
- Another first: on Sunday I went to my first Mexican quinciñera. It's the girl's fifteenth birthday party, similar to a sweet sixteen but SO over the top. I plan to write a full post about it tomorrow, so for now I'll just include that in my firsts.
- Finally, I submitted my first short story last night. This online publication says they take 3-8 weeks to get back to you, so I'm officially part of the waiting club. Can someone please show me the secret handshake?
ETA: I cannot believe I forgot this one - I squashed my first cockroach this morning! He was sleeping on his back in the cabinet when I opened it to make coffee this morning. He was little, but still.
Any firsts for you today?