Friday, December 26, 2008

Happy Day After Christmas

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday, and for my Jewish friends, are still having a wonderful holiday. I talked with my family over the computer yesterday, including my sister who finally got Skype at her house, but other than that it was very low-key.

I've been plugging away at The Other Side, averaging about 1000 words per day. I also started a short story that came to me a few weeks ago. I was spending more time thinking about that story than the book I need to be working on, so I gave in and wrote down the bones for it. Now I can concentrate!

Ibis mentioned visiting his family in Huetamo, a small city in the mountains about four hours from here. He hasn't seen his grandmother since he was fifteen and would like to see them while we're still living here. He doesn't have any way to contact them before hand, so if we go we'll stay in a hotel and hope for the best. He wants to go BEFORE New Years, which would mean tomorrow, I believe.

*shakes head*

I'll keep you posted...

12 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

If you go, be careful. Sounds like great potential for an adventure though! :)

colbymarshall said...

Have fun! I'm glad you're getting lots of words in there. :-)

ZihuaRob said...

I've seen a lot of people come and go here in Zihuatanejo, but few as prolific at writing as you. Very interesting observations and viewpoints.

Best of luck to you and your husband. I hope you find what and where you're looking for.

Jen said...

Well, YAY for progress, Mel! Sounds like you're doing really well. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna, I hope we actually get to go. We stopped in Huetamo for dinner when my parents were here and it'd be interesting to see where Ibis was born.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Colby!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Hi Rob, and thanks! Welcome. I've seen your site many times. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Jen, I wouldn't say I'm doing really well, but I'm reaching my minimum goal, so that's something. I'd be happier with 2000 per day.

Rachel Burton said...

Merry belated Christmas! Sounds like you had an eventful dinner. I hope you (potential) travels go well!

Spy Scribbler said...

Oh, that's awesome! Wow! We've been lazy. We're housesitting, and other than tending the dogs and doing house chores, we've been just doing puzzles and playing games.

Take tons of pictures of Huetamo, will you?

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Rachel!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Spy, we'll take pictures if we go. Right now I'm not sure...