Thursday, December 18, 2008

Scenes from My Balcony

I sometimes go out on the balcony and watch the goings-on in the neighborhood. There's always a couple women doing laundry and little kids running around, plus some type of vehicle selling newspapers, it's megaphones blaring. We also have a lot of stray cats that consider the roofs their personal parade grounds.* On occasion they notice me standing high above them and stare at me in wonderment. Or concern - a lot of people throw things at strays around here. But I just watch.

Yesterday I noticed something interesting. In one shadow is a white cat, in the other a pigeon. Does anyone else think it's a little strange they're hanging out so close to each other?


I try to peek outside when the sun is setting to see the beautiful colors that light up the sky. It's always a little different and this time there was one huge pink cloud filling the sky. It reminded me of a ship coming into the bay (or leaving, since that's the direction it's facing).


Finally, there was one other thing I noticed on the balcony. A little teeny snowman! Janna sent him to me so I could enjoy a little snow of my own. Isn't he adorable?




*I've seen a dog on the roof twice now but have yet to get a picture. I'll keep trying.

18 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Aww, that's the cutest! Hey, are those the hot water tanks on the roof, the ones you told us about? That heated the water with the sun?

Glenn just fixed the lights out front. Tonight I'll take a picture and post them, so you can have a few Christmas decorations to imagine!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Yes, those are the water tanks, but not "hot" water tanks. They're called tanakas. Cold water goes in and depending on how much sunlight there is, the water warms up.

I can't wait to see the lights!

Travis Erwin said...

What great things to spy. I might get a look at my hillbilly neighbor outside smoking a Marlboro.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Travis, I can also see that, I just chose not to snap a picture. ;)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Yeah! It's so neat to see the snowman in his new habitat. Thanks for posting that picture!

And how did you get the header picture in?! I've tried and tried and tried to do that, but it never fits. I need help!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna, I learned how to use the manual focus on my camera to take his picture.

For the header, if you go to the Customize page for your blog, there should be an edit button for the header. The pop-up window has an option for adding a picture and there's a box for shrink to fit. The picture should be close to the right size to begin with. Then you just mess around with colors, which you know how to do!

Anonymous said...

Pretty cloud scene! I love the little snowman! That was very sweet of Janna. (Of course, Janna is very sweet!) :) Enjoy your view!

WendyCinNYC said...

I like your new little snow-friend.

Anonymous said...

I loved the cloud photo, and the snowman globe is a real cutie :)

Looking out my window, I see the neighbor's house and a fire hydrant. Usually it doesn't get any more exciting than that...

Robin said...

I love Mr. Snowman! I guess the cat is well fed, but what's the pigeon's excuse? I fear for his life with those poor survival skills. Or, maybe they've been friends for a long time, despite their families' objections.

Anonymous said...

beautiful pink clouds.

BioniKat said...

I also see cats when I look out my windows (but they're my own). The pigeon probably decided the cat didn't look hungry and he needed the shade. I have a great view all the way to the sea in the distance cos my little house is on the side of a hill with a view of the whole neighbourhood. It is one of the reasons why I chose it. It has a steep driveway which definitely deters unwanted visitors.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Turkey, Janna is SO sweet!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Wendy, he's been sitting on the base of my computer so I remember it's winter and Christmas.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Dominique, I have a lot of free time, that's the only way I ever see anything, lol. There's plenty of times I go outside and there's nothing going on.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Robin, I don't know. That's the second time I saw them like that. Maybe they know he's a little slow or something and they can fly away before he can catch them.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

AC, it's one of my favorite things about it here.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Momcat, that's why I love the position of our place. We have such a gorgeous view!