Friday, December 26, 2008

Fellow Zihua Blogger

There's a man named Zihua Rob who is kind of a legend here. He runs a website with a very active message board, where you can ask or answer questions on pretty much anything in Zihua. Where to stay, good local restaurants, even upcoming events are all listed there.

I've never met Rob nor had any interaction with him until yesterday when he commented on my post. I followed the link to his blog and found a plethora of articles about the sad condition of Zihua and its troubles. He goes into great detail explaining a lot of the problems that I'm too hesitant to get into here. This post is especially interesting.

His site gives a different perspective on our town here. It's clear he loves Zihua but doesn't describe it as something it's not.

10 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

How awesome, first, that he maintains such a site, but also how cool that he found yours!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I know, I was surprised and pleased that he had nice things to say. I've never hid the fact that I have a blog, but as far as I know, no one here reads it. Now that may change.

Spy Scribbler said...

Wow, that's neat! Sad, but neat that he's blogging. Sad that Zihua is having problem, because it seems so gorgeous.

How did you guys end up in Zihua?

Melanie Hooyenga said...

When we decided to move to Mexico, we first thought we'd live in Morelia. He has family there and it's a large city (it's the capital of the state) but I had problems breathing because of the pollution and altitude.

We turned out attention to Zihua because it's near his family in Lazaro, plus the altitude is lower and there some English-speakers here. But, it's hotter. I sometimes wonder if we'd be happier in Morelia (I think we would) but there's no point lamenting that now.

Anonymous said...

I read his post. Unfortunately, the same issues exist throughout the world. Fortunately, there are people who rise above, provide hope, and bring about change without the use of violence. Lets hope there are more who are willing to turn things around and help to provide a better quality of life.

Rachel Burton said...

I read his post. It's exciting that he's stepping forward and urging action; I hope good comes out of this for your community.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Turkey, I hope you're right. The amount of violence in this country worries me - as well as a lot of other people. I sometimes wonder if it'll ever get turned around.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Rachel, I do too. I think it's ridiculous that people are saying he's to blame for the drop in tourism. In addition to the problems here, there's also a recession in the US!

colbymarshall said...

Thanks for pointing this out...interesting.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!