Friday, December 19, 2008

From Excited to Nervous

Remember a couple days ago when I was trying to decide which novel to work on? Well I followed your advice (and my gut) and chose to work on The Other Side. So far I've gone through some minor edits - typos and such - but I haven't done much else. I really want to get this done but there's just one problem.

I'm scared.

I really like it right now and I'm worried that the new stuff I'll right won't be as good. Or won't have the same voice. Or will sound like it's forced because I need more pages.

I realize this is ridiculous, that it's the same doubts every writer has along the way. Heck, I've already had these concerns and I got through two drafts. I think I'm just worried about tarnishing my pretty draft. I've thought about writing the new pieces in a separate document so I can work on them apart from the main document, but really I think I just need to get over myself. There's no reason I can't edit and revise the new sections while they're nestled among the existing work.

Now that I got that off my chest. Have you suffered any roadblocks in your writing lately? I'm going to my friends in about an hour and won't be back until this afternoon, so I'll get to your comments then.

16 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

I find the bigger mess I make, the better end result I get. So get in there, rip it up, and write crap again. The sorting and polishing process afterwards will make it even better! Diamonds are quite ugly before you clean them up!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Ooh, I like that about the diamonds. :)

WendyCinNYC said...

Get over yourself! You're just making excuses! Get in there!*




*tough love

My writing experience is often one big block. You just need to keep plugging along.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Oh yes, have I been there before. And everything you said when you dissected it was true for me. It is a matter of just pushing through those niggling thoughts and doing it. Good luck!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Wendy, I NEED the tough love. Can I call you later today when I'm getting ready to start? :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Janna. I just need to get started and stop worrying about it.

colbymarshall said...

I feel your pain...I'm writing a totally different genre right now and it's scary. But, just allow yourself to write and then go back and fix what doesn't work.

Jenna said...

Spy is so right. My best stuff comes when I let myself write crap first and then keep writing until I say, "Where the hell did that come from?"

And the more you write the better it gets, like fine wine over time.

Not to be insensitive but I don't think the first try out of the box is ever the best. That goes for art, writing, ideas, sports, etc.

You have to give yourself permission to dig in and get messy to really get to that diamond in the rough :).

Anonymous said...

I'm one of those odd birds that doesn't write because "if I don't I'll die a slow death." I write because I have an ego and like to see my name on book covers. So I get writer's block when I think the project is not publishable.

Robin said...

Don't be scared, Melanie! You're a terrific writer! I loved the excerpts from the NaNo book, and your blog is wonderful. It's going to be awesome. Just go in there and make it better. You can do it! Rah! Rah!

Lyzzydee said...

I am not a writer but I do find that sometimes craft stuff I do now and am very happy with never looks as good going back. BUT if you are thrilled with what you have done that is marvelous and a really good place to be!!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Colby, I'm feeling better about it now.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Jenna. In my mind I'm equating this to the nervousness I feel when starting a new journal. The notebook is so pretty that I don't want to make a mistake - I want my handwriting to look as nice as it can. Which is silly, because a blank notebook is a bigger waste than one that's used and loved.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

AC, that's a good point. I'm definitely not one who needs to write lest I die. I like to tell stories and would love to have one published. That's my motivation.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Robin!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Welcome lyzzydee! I know what you mean. As a designer I my projects sometimes take turns that I don't expect, and while the end result may not be what I intended, it's usually still pleasing.