Saturday, December 13, 2008

Nevermind

We're not going on a trip anymore. Ibis called his brother this morning to confirm the times of the baptism tomorrow and apparently it's been rescheduled for February. The car started acting up again yesterday so we were already thinking we'd have to scrap the Mexico City part, so this all works out. I'm a little bummed we're not going anywhere, but I'll live.

Ibis is hoping to still get tomorrow off so we can go visit his family in Lazaro Cardenas, an hour north of here. We haven't been there since the summer so it'll be really nice to see everyone. If you're wondering why we haven't been when they're only an hour away, it's mainly because Ibis has hardly had any time off and the few days he does get are always during the week when his family is working. It won't be Mexico City, but it'll still be family and still be a nice break from the everyday.

I haven't mentioned writing much this week because I haven't done much writing. On Thursday I had my only real output (2000 words) thanks in large part to my blog (and Facebook and AW) friend Nadine. We chatted on FB while writing and pushed each other to reach our goals for the day. I was very happy with my output and reached a mini-climax in my story, but I haven't written more since then. I'm hoping today is the day.

It feels strange knowing it's the "holiday season" but not feeling it AT ALL. Everyone I know is in a mad rush to get everything done before Christmas and I've actually been a little bored. The internet has been quiet the past couple days and I assume it'll only get quieter between now and the New Year. If you're still around - Happy Holidays!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate cancellations. I always create scenes in my head to prepare myself that when I need to cancel the internal show, it's always a disappointment.

Enjoy the holidays--and the writing.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so disappointed for you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the cancellation. I am glad you two will still have a chance to get out.

Writing? Whats that?

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Laura, at least we weren't planning it for very long. I'm disappointed but oh well.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks AC.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Turkey, this writing thing has eluded me this week. I open my document every day and it sits there, untouched. I have half of a new short story in a notebook in front of me, but I haven't finished that either.

Unknown said...

as you can relate, i've cancelled more than a couple of plans. Zoom was excellent at forcing me to 'reschedule' plans... it will lead to other opportunities.

Unknown said...

but totally keep updating your writing. those of us 'unable' are living vicariously through your accomplishments!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

K, I'm really not that disappointed. Yes, I was looking forward to it but he sprung the trip on me at the beginning of the week and I've been concerned about money. I'd be ok with his getting a few days off so we can do things in the towns around here.

I'll keep you posted on the writing. I have big plans for today! btw, I still can't get my navigation bar to work.

(I cannot call you Kreyfish, I'm sorry.)

Nadine said...

Bummer that the trip got canceled. But good that you guys might still visit family!

It was great writing with you on Thursday, I got so much done! Looking forward to doing it again!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Me too Nadine! I've written 400 words so far today but more importantly, I'm getting past the big "secret" of my book. It's been driving the plot until this point but I wasn't sure what it was! Now I do. :)

Janna Leadbetter said...

Oh, shoot! Well that's a bummer, but you seem okay with the outcome.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna, I'd still love to go there sometime. We're hoping we'll be out of here in late spring, so we have until then!

Robin said...

You're taking this very well. I'm sad and disappointed though. No vicarious trip for Robin. Sigh.

(My plan is to make you feel sorry for me, thus distracting you from slow internet and canceled trip. Is it working? I'm so sneaky!)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Robin, I feel very sorry for you. :P We're going to visit family today so that should help ease my pain.

Spy Scribbler said...

Happy Holidays, Melanie! I keep telling myself I should take two weeks off of the internet, but then I think I Just Can't Live without it.

And what about all my friends? I'll miss them! But I do need to get an insane amount work done. I could use two weeks of seclusion, LOL. The question is whether I could do it, and whether I could survive!

Jen said...

Ah, I'm sorry you didn't get to go on the trip, Mel. Maybe February will work out better in the end, though.

*hugs*

Rachel Burton said...

Hey Melanie! I'm resurfacign in time to hear about your trip being cancelled - sorry! I know it sucks to get excited about traveling and then it not work out. I'd love to see Mexico City as well. My dad lived there a few months for business and loved it. Have you been yet?

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Spy, I couldn't deal with two weeks away. Ugh. One day is enough for me and even with that I feel like I need to "catch up"!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Jen, we'll see. My dad will be here then so it all depends on if he wants to go or is okay with us leaving him here alone for a couple days.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Hey Rachel! No, I've never been there, assuming we aren't counting the airport. I really hope we get a chance to go.