Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A Lot on My Mind

Our second immigration appointment is sixteen days away and I'm doing my best not to think of it. I've spent a lot of time pondering the changes that will take place in our lives in the next several months. We plan to move whether we're approved or not, it's just a matter of where.

I've been feeling very restless, like I'm searching for some sort of peace in my life. I recently started Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert and it's already had a deep affect on me. It follows a year of her life when she lived in Italy, India and Indonesia in search of inner peace after a tumultuous divorce. I clearly haven't had the divorce but my life has been tumultuous nonetheless. Knowing more change is on the way makes my already scattered thoughts bounce all over the place.

I feel like I need something in my life to keep me grounded so that I'll be ready for our next upheaval. Focusing more on writing, both in my journal and on my wip, has helped, but I haven't found the secret just yet.

What do you do to prepare yourself when big news is just around the corner?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dwell, worry, and constantly run worse case scenarios about it in my head. (Not effective, or the best thing to do... but I always do it.) Either way, we will always be in touch! :)

By the way.. make sure you move someplace that sells toaster ovens!
;)

Doreen Orion said...

Turkey lurkey -

We must be related!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Turkey, we HAVE a toaster oven, it's just not here! Wherever we go it will come with us for sure. Now that I've mastered cooking everything on a stovetop. ;)

Kristine said...

Exercising, planting flowers, cleaning out my closet, painting, these are all things I do when trying to keep my mind off of something big. Listening to music while cleaning, helps, too. I'm sure you've worked all these angles though. Good luck chicka. Talk to you soon.
Cheers!

Spy Scribbler said...

Man, for something that big, I wouldn't be prepared. I would constantly fret and worry, and feel so unsettled I could barely stand it.

So I might not be the person to ask that question. :-)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

And that's exactly what I've been doing!