Monday, April 21, 2008

It's About Time

I believe in karma, or at least my idea of it. The theory that whatever good or bad things you do in life will eventually work their way back to you. If someone wrongs me I'm able to put aside my urge for revenge with the belief that they will eventually get what's coming to them. I've had personal experiences that back that up, but mostly it involved things happening to other people.

If you believe in my version of karma it would seem likely that at some point, something should be working its way back to me. I've often joked that with all the crap I've had to deal with in the past fifteen months I've got some serious good karma coming my way. I realize if I'm counting on it nothing good will likely happen so I try not to dwell on it, it's just something in the back of my mind.

I haven't gone into a lot of detail here but I've had various health problems that started three days before I moved to Mexico. Well, they didn't start that day but that's when the lab results came in. So on top of all the immigration BS we've had on our minds I've had monthly doctor's visits with a non-English speaking MD. Every time we thought I was fine, something new would turn up.

Well, I finally have been given the green light to move forward with my life (read that how you will). All my problems seem to be under control. The best part - I didn't have to make an appointment before I left. Every single time I've been in there I've had to schedule my next visit but not today! I do have to return at the end of August but that feels like an eternity away.

And best of all she gave me a prescription for some real migraine medicine! Thanks, mom, for suggesting the research ahead of time.

4 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

You know, when I was young, I didn't know what karma was. But I somehow had this belief that the first half of my life would suck, and second half would totally be easy and awesome.

Well, I'm 34. I'm expecting the easy part to kick in by 35. Please.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Crap. When you put it that way, the first half of my life was pretty good. Does that mean I'm in for 33 years of yuckiness? Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think I am still living the first half of my life at 35! I am not ready for it to be half over, and plan to live well beyond 70! :)

Congrats on getting the green light! Make sure you do a lot of celebrating! ;)

And don't let your karma run over your dogma! (Yes, I am a dork!)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Let the celebrating begin!