Saturday, September 19, 2009

Life Is Hard

That's what we say whenever we notice Owen sleeping. As I'm sure most puppies do, when he first wakes up, he lifts his head, looks around the room, maaaaybe starts to get up, then he collapses in a heap on the floor. If he was in his bed and started to climb out, he often gives up halfway out. Or he inches himself out bit by bit over the course of half an hour until he's half in/half out of his bed. Yes, we ooh and ahh every time.


This was after a bath. I put the towel on the floor for him to snuggle with, he dragged part of it into his bed, then eventually worked his way back out again.


Hanging out with "papa".


He'd been asleep for at least an hour before we noticed his ears were flipped over. Trying to hear us talking about him, perhaps?


Finally, he LOVES his toys. I keep moving them out of his way so he can sleep, but he chooses to sleep on top of them. During the day he'll stick his head in and grab one, then another, then another toy to play with. At least he appreciates them!


Can you believe how big he's gotten? Compared to the first pictures I posted of him in his bed, he looks like a giant!

11 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

The size difference is incredible! When did you get him?

And I love when dogs' ears do funny things, like lay backwards and flip around. So cute!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

We got him at the beginning of August and he was born June 22, so he's almost three months old. It's crazy how big he is!

Spy Scribbler said...

Awww, he's the cutest! I love that half-in/half-out thing. A puppy after my own heart!

My Dixie is like that with her toys. When we were at our old house, she would drag all five up and down the stairs with her, in five trips, LOL. Up in the evening, down in the early morning. :-)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Owen hasn't figured out how to put them back yet. The only time he brings them INTO the bed is when he's planning to play with them there.

Anonymous said...

My dog always took one of her toys and used it as a pillow.

Yours is just too cute.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Gypsy, he does that sometimes, too, but I don't think it's intentional. Right now he likes to use our feet as pillows. :P

JLC said...

He is still a cutie! I love that whiskered face! :D

Nadine said...

Adorable!! I love all the pics!! And so cute about his toys in the bed!!

How big is he now, like how many pounds and how many pounds is he supposed to be when he is full size?

Melanie Hooyenga said...

JLC, me too!

Nadine, Ibis estimates that he weighs about three pounds. He's still mostly skin and bones and fur. He weighed nothing when we got him. I think they're supposed to get around 15-20 pounds at full-size.

Robin said...

He's so adorable! It makes me long for those puppy days. But Adam told me that if you have more than 2 dogs it means you're insane, like old ladies who live alone with a hundred cats, and we already have 2 dogs, so I've hit my quota.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Robin, as long as we're still allowed to have two!