Thursday, September 10, 2009

Crocs to the Rescue!

Hi! I'm back and I swear I plan to tell you about my trip -- I've already compiled a list of bizarre things I saw over the past two weeks -- but something more pressing is on my mind.

On the first full day of my trip I slammed my big toe into the side of the island in my cousin's kitchen and by the next day it was looking pretty gross. I've been comparing it to the alien that busts out of Sigourney Weaver's stomach -- all flesh and blood and other goopy stuff, none of which is very convenient when you're traversing across three states.

It looked like it was getting better over this past weekend, but then Tuesday things went downhill. Walking through three airports* on Wednesday didn't help, so as soon as I got home we found a doctor and headed right back out. Now I have antibiotics and creams and, most importantly, an appointment to get the whole mess sliced off on Saturday. (yum)

So where do the Crocs fit into this story? Well, as you may be aware, we have a chewing, biting puppy who doesn't understand that the slightest touch will make me pass out from the pain. I spent an hour running around on one leg (which is not as easy as it sounds) before I remembered my camouflage Crocs I bought when I was home last year.

They're perfect because the bulbous area up front doesn't touch my toes and they are sturdy enough to kind of keep Owen off me. They may also keep anyone else from coming near me, but since I can barely walk, I suppose I'll take it.


*While writing this post Wednesday night I found out there was a hijacking situation with a Mexican flight and that the plane was in Mexico City. I was there when that happened but all I saw were some Federales dealing with something important (ie: running around looking all serious 'n stuff).

18 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

Hooray for the crocs!

Not-so-hooray for hijackings.

Can't wait to hear more stories. :)

Jewel Allen said...

Welcome back!

weeghosties said...

ACK on all counts! Welcome home but ewwwwwwwwww on the foot. Have you taught Owen to fetch yet? ;)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna, I just think it's weird I had no idea it was going on...

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Pink!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Stacey, no kidding!

I'm not quite sure how to teach it, but I think "identifying objects so I don't have to get up" should be next on the list.

Spy Scribbler said...

Ohmigosh, Crocs were a DREAM when I hurt my foot. I wore nothing else for a year; I could wear nothing else for a year! I've graduated to Columbia sandals, but I still can't do tennis shoes.

The things you get yourself into, Melanie!

JLC said...

Ack! Crocs!

*Runs away and hides in a hijacked plane.*



Glad you are back safe, hope the toe is better soon!!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Natasha, they're working better than I expected. I don't think I'll wear them if I run errands, but at least they keep the pup off me.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

JLC, I knew you'd have something to say. ;)

Nadine said...

Welcome back!!! Sorry to hear that your toe is still bothering you - that's no fun.

I have a pair of Croc knock-offs (same light material) and I wear them around the house all the time as the tile floor sometimes gets hard on my knees. Yay for Crocs! (and knock-offs!)

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your toe! I'll admit I'm a crocs convert, I bought a pair for a muddy music festival/camping trip and they are more comfy than I ever dreamed them to be! plus they have some more stylish options now (mine are ballet flats). Glad to hear your crocs are coming in handy. Can't wait to hear about your trip!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Nadine, I'm quite certain these are knock-offs too.

It took me a minute to visualize what you have going on there. I was picturing Crocs on your knees, lol.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janet, I have seen the other styles and while I've been tempted, I haven't caved. Yet.

erica m. chapman said...

Oh Man-- so sorry about the toe and that's crazy about the hijacking thing... Wow- you certainly lead an interesting life!

Crocs-- hmmm, if they make your toe feel better, then I am so glad for that, and of course keep the puppy of those tootsies!

Welcome back again-- sorry I missed this post and went on to the next one first. Can't wait to hear about the trip!

Robin said...

Yay, you're back! Sorry about the toe. Toes don't seem that important until you hurt one. They're like teeth that way.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Erica, yeah, I don't know what that's all about. I really don't need this excitement in my life!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Robin, very true.