Saturday, September 26, 2009

Roo Roo Roo

That is the sound Owen makes when he's excited, frustrated, happy, hungry, playful, and sad. This is him "roo-ing" right after Ibis left to go to the store.


He howls at the door, then turns around to face me and howls some more to make sure I know Ibis left. I imagine his cries are something like "HE'S GONE! HE'S GONE! (look back and forth) DID YOU KNOW HE'S GONE?" It's so pitiful but I try to ignore him so the behavior isn't reinforced. But he's so cute and gets all snuggly afterwards.

This was a couple minutes later. He'd stopped crying and just looked super-duper-wooper sad instead.


I keep waiting for the cuteness to wear off, but I could stare at him all day long -- some days it feels like that's all I do. I can't tell you how many times one of us will say "look at him!" because he's doing something adorable, like rolling over, rubbing his face, twitching his ears... you get the idea.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that stuff!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I figured you would. :)

Erica Orloff said...

I am like that with my kids . . . The cuteness wears off in the teen years. ;-)
E

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Erica, we keep trying to decide if he's a "teenager" yet. He's certainly growing like one and he's all gangly legs right now. There ARE moments when I don't think he's cute -- like when he will not stop chewing on any part of my body he can reach -- but then he crashes and is cute again. :P

Janna Leadbetter said...

I bet the cuteness will never get old. Maybe a hair tiresome, you'll roll your eyes, but you'll always feel that tug deep inside.

WendyCinNYC said...

I'm so glad you got a dog. It sounds like he's great company!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna, I think you're right. Even now, he's sleeping in his bed beneath the coffee table and I turn to look at him way too often. I've developed a bit of a tick, lol.

Wendy, we are too! We say that all the time (I actually deleted a line saying as much from this post). He's great company!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I feel the same about my dog and he is almost 13 now! Still amazes me how dang cute or handsome he can be. I imagine that this must be similar to how people with children feel. lol:)

Mary

JLC said...

Awww! Super-dooper-WOOPER sad is very sad indeed! You are right though, he is cute. :)

Melanie's Mom said...

I've looked at your post twice and it makes me smile each time. There must be another word besides "cute" but that pretty much captures him. Your descriptions are great!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Mary, we've often marveled at how attached we are and he's a DOG, then say "Can you imagine what it'll be like with a KID?"

JLC, it's just so HARD for him, you know? :P

Mom, I can't stop looking at that picture. I'm just glad I was able to capture it.

Nadine said...

The photos are adorable!! That's so cute that he gets so sad when Ibis leaves. I'm sure he cries for a while when you both leave. I don't think I would ever be able to leave him! He would just come with me!!

Anonymous said...

That dog owns your soul Melanie. Accept it.

Anonymous said...

Yup. Dogs own us. Not the other way around. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Nadine, he definitely cries when we both leave. We can still hear him a block away! Fortunately I don't think it lasts very long or I think the neighbors would kill us, although part of me takes satisfaction in the fact that WE finally have a way to annoy THEM.

Ralfast, I've accepted it. :)

Gypsy, they really should tell you that when you get them...

Robin said...

We're still like that with our dogs. Maybe it won't wear off! :)