Friday, October 16, 2009

This is Really Starting to Tick Me Off

Can you guess what these are?


If you've been following along on Twitter or are my friend on Facebook then you might guess that these are ticks. I pulled these off Owen in the space of about half an hour, and removed the same amount the day before (then again later after this picture was taken). I put water in the bowl because it's easier to drop them in there, and this way I don't have to squish them and they can't run away. I just have to keep Owen from drinking the water.

He's had bugs since we first got him, so we check him daily for little critters. (He's surprisingly well-behaved while we do it, too. Yesterday he even fell asleep while I was attacking his face.) After one particularly disgusting excavation about a month ago, we thought we had them all and didn't see any for several weeks. Well, it looks like the new litter is here. And now they're attacking us.

We've tried everything short of bug bombing the house, and that's only because I haven't figured out if they actually sell bug bombs here. We've bleached the floor countless times, torn apart the bedroom, washed the curtains... you get the idea. And they still keep coming back.

Since I'm picking them off him with my fingernails -- don't worry, they're just on the surface of his skin -- inevitably one or two ends up crawling on me, and now I have the constant sensation that creepy crawlies are on me. It doesn't help that I have lots of moles and freckles.

Right arm:

Left arm:


Do you have any suggestions for non-toxic remedies, both for Owen and the house? So far people have suggested feeding him garlic, washing him in dish soap and/or flea & tick shampoo (which we do have), and giving him an oral pill (which we're looking into). My preferred option is MOVING, but we need something a little more short-term.

Thanks.

ETA: LurkerMonkey just informed me that my short story is up at his blog today.)

24 comments:

Jon VanZile said...

Yer up!

I just posted your story this morning ... check out
1-millionmonkeys.blogspot.com

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks. I just added the link to the post.

Allen said...

Can I mail you a flea and tick spray?

It can't be that hard to ship a can or two down.

BTW, freckles and moles are sexy. So sexy that I had them tattooed all over my body.

Yes, I am a middle-aged freckled hunk. New calendar coming soon.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Your arms look like mine! :)

I'm sorry about the ticks and buggaroos. I'd been a walking fit with all of 'em. Hope you find a fix! I'll keep my ear to the ground for word of a remedy.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Allen, we have regular bug spray that we're using in our room, but I'm not sure how much good it's doing. I'm hoping we can get a pill from the vet today. Funny about the moles.

Janna, your have freckly arms too?

Allen said...

I was thinking of one of those bug bombs that kill everything and the neighbor's pets. You know, close the windows, shut the door and lock the bratty kid from down the street in and set the spray bomb off.

Well, maybe not the neighbor's pet.

Anonymous said...

Melanie I just got done reading your new story at the link in your post.

This is just excellent writing. Keep it up. Great stuff.

Steve

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Allen, we're hopefully looking into that today. Honestly, I forget which conversations I've had where because we were talking about bug bombs yesterday.

Thanks Steve!

Travis Erwin said...

You can pray for a good hard freeze. ;)

JLC said...

Mel - I popped over to Lurker's site and read your short. When I reached the end, I was a bit confused and thought the last two words were describing an ancient American Indian site. It took me a few moments to realize that the 'family' was different. I read the following comments so I know what they were, but before I read the comments, I was thinking they were ticks. :D

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Travis that's a GREAT idea! And very likely to happen. ;)

JLC, yeah, I know it's not (SNOT!) clear if you don't see the prompt. I like Jude's suggestion to title it The Spiders. I think that will clear things up.

JLC said...

(Stew) :p

Nadine said...

*shudders* I really hope you get the tick problem figured out! Eek!

Would the local vet have something?

BTW: I have freckles all over too!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

*snort*

Nadine, that's what we're hoping. Ibis needs to bring him in & since he's waiting for a call about a potential job, he can't leave. Soon...

Yay for freckly folk!

Pam said...

I give my lab a pill once a month, and we've never had a problem. If you can't get something from your vet, I'll be happy to get something from my vet and send it to you.

I've got the same freckly arms. Reminds me of constellations. I keep trying to find the Big Dipper!

Nadine said...

Pam, you just reminded me of one of my favorite movies - Serendipity. He finds a constellation on her arm in her freckles. Love that movie. Sigh...

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Apparently the vet gave him an injection, then we washed him in flea shampoo.

I like the idea of a constellation of freckles. The ones around my neck form a necklace. :)

Nancy said...

We use Frontline on our dogs that we can buy at any vet here in Mazatlán. It works great. YOu can also have the fumigator spray your property for ticks. Our huge house costs less than $25 US to spray for all bugs including ticks.

Good luck.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Nancy, that's a great idea. I wouldn't have thought to have them do it, but I have seen them do houses. Thanks!

Spy Scribbler said...

Moving would be number one on my list for you, too! But ewwww... those ticks look TINY. Is that just the perspective of the picture, or are the teensy-tiny?

LOVED your story, but I'll check it out over there.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Natasha, they are pretty small but the majority are easy to see. His hair is different colors so the darker hair hides them better.

Pam said...

Nadine, I haven't seen Serendipity, but I'll add it to my list. Thanks!

Erica Orloff said...

Melanie:
I am late to this . . . BUT.............

I used to live next door to this hippie healer who was living totally green 20 years ago before it was trendy, and he fed his animals Brewer's Yeast and they never got a tick or a flea. Something about the odor to the insects or something. I don't remember. But maybe you can google it.

This vet also does holistic. LOTS of suggestions:
http://tedeboy.tripod.com/drmichaelwfox/id35.html

E

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Erica, that's awesome. THANK YOU!

(comments get emailed to me so I always see them, even if they aren't the day of the post)