Monday, October 5, 2009

My Canadian Job Search Has Begun

Saturday I was bouncing between cleaning, playing with Owen, and chatting with friends on Facebook when it occurred to me that I was no long WAITING for anything. The news already came. But I tell you, after two and a half years of twiddling our thumbs and waiting for a magical letter to arrive (which, by the way, has technically still not arrived), it's tough to suddenly switch gears.

So as of Saturday afternoon, the job search has officially begun. Ibis actually beat me to it and sent out his first resume that day, but I didn't find any listings that sounded good until Sunday evening. And even then, it was just the one. I'm also looking in several cities which makes the search process a little more haphazard than I'm used to.

One thing became clear rather quickly: I'll most likely have to take a pay cut because

1) I've been unemployed for over two years and employers don't always like that (even though I have furthered my skills), and

2) the economy kinda sucks right now. Maybe you've heard?

I'll try not to bore you and only fill you in when something actually happens, but I figured my first resume in over three years was worthy of a post.


In other news, I'm approaching my two-year blog anniversary and this is my 600th post. *throws confetti*

11 comments:

WendyCinNYC said...

Good luck with the job hunt, Melanie. Are you looking into graphic design, or other fields as well?

JLC said...

Ill be keeping my fingers crossed! Congrats on the 600th post. Id say congrats on the two years, but I am pretty sure you didn't want this blog up for that long. Perhaps, in a few months you'll have one that says, "Welcome to Canada, Eh!" :)
(hugs)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Wendy, I'm focusing on design right now, but I'd love to find something that would incorporate my writing as well. I've never been good at digging deep in job searches, so I'm hoping I can find something special this time around.

When I moved to Chicago waaaaaay back in '98, I wasn't too picky because I figured it'd be easier to find a better job once I was already in the area. I'd rather not have that mentality again BUT, it's somewhat true. I'd be happy just to have a job.

JLC, I hadn't really looked at it that way when I commented on the 600 posts, but yeah, you're right.

And I think I like "What Am I Doing in Canada?". :)

Janna Leadbetter said...

I feel a whole new book brewin'. ;)

Good luck to you.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna, lol. Not that I expect you're all drooling over my website, but did you notice I changed my comment about my memoir on my writing page? That was my mom's suggestion.

erica m. chapman said...

Congrats on the 600th post! Good Luck with the job hunt :)

Can't wait to read the new stories that come out from this situation. Love the new website!

Nadine said...

Congrats on post 600!! And fingers are crossed for the job search!!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Erica, I don't even want to think about the actual moving yet. Ugh.

Thanks Nadine!

Adam said...

Good luck, Mel, and good luck to Ibis, too. :)

Adam

Robin said...

Good luck with the job hunt to both of you! You're a way nicer person than me. I would never have moved on. I'd spend the rest of my life ranting and raving about the US Government and their annoying immigration policies. Grrrrr.... You were born in the US, and your family is in the US. I can't get over it, and I'm not even you. I just popped a neuron.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Adam. :)

Robin, but if I think like that I'll start to resent Ibis, and that's not healthy, you know? Yeah, it sucks. It sucks sucks sucks, but I'm really excited to move someplace else and start over.