Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The 70s

I was born in the middle of the 70s, but I've never really felt a strong connection to that decade. Most of my earliest memories begin with kindergarten, and therefore, 1980, so I think of myself as a child of the 80s.

That said, I'm loving the 70s right now because I finally passed the 70,000 word mark on The Other Side! My ultimate goal is 80K (natch) but I'm very happy with this accomplishment. My writing on this draft has been unsteady and I've rarely managed to write on consecutive days, but I'm getting there.

Right now I'm working on adding a subplot for the main character's sister. I had twenty chapters to start with and added six for her, spacing them so I alternate three for the MC, then one for her. I reached 70K at the end of the third chapter, so this means I'm halfway there. Even if I don't reach 80K, I'm still very happy with the progress I've made and I'm still a little surprised my 45,000 word original draft has mutated into a full-length novel.

But enough about me, how's your writing going? Or if you're not a writer, what's new in your world?

15 comments:

Jon VanZile said...

I would LOVE to be at 70,000 words on my WIP. Alas, I'm at 3,000. I started last week.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Hi Lurker Monkey! I was JUST at your blog - I love what you have to say. :)

I've been working on this for over a year and this is my fourth draft, so it seems like it's taken FOREVER to get to this point. Just 10K more...

Spy Scribbler said...

Wow, it HAS, hasn't it? That is AWESOME! I sure do understand the "forever" feeling. I feel like I've been stuck in a rut forever!

Well, I guess I'm making progress. I have to write this essay, and I have to read this books. And I am. It just doesn't feel like overall progress.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Spy, you always have so much going on I can see why it feels like you don't get anything done, but from my perspective, it seems like you're always onto the next thing so you must be accomplishing things!

JLC said...

I haven't been able to do much during Spring Break. I need a quiet house to get any writing done. Today I plan to draw out the floor plan of the space ship while the kiddo's paint. (multitasking!)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

A space ship! How fun!

Nadine said...

Still at 5,000 with my WIP which has been at that word count for nearly two weeks. I would love to say that today is the day it will grow, but not sure...

Robin said...

Yay for the 70's! I remember really ugly pants (elephant pants), and the Brady Bunch.

I'm reading books on screenplay writing, because I have a really awesome movie idea in my warped little brain.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Nadine, you've had plenty on your plate though. I think queries and synopsises's'e'es rewrites (oh my!) are plenty ambitious.

Good luck with your new wip!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Robin, I would LOVE to see a movie that came from your mind. As long as there are no fluffy poops.

WendyCinNYC said...

Congrats on the 70k mark!

I'm revising. And revising. And revising. I'm eating drinking sleeping my novel now that I'm back. Sorry I've been a crappy blogger.

It's amazing how much I can get done now that someone is waiting for my MS.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Wendy, I bet that's WONDERFUL motivation! I'm still so excited for you. :)

How long do you have to finish the edits?

Janna Leadbetter said...

You rock! Very well done, Melanie.

I'm sore jealous. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Janna, but don't be jealous. You've finished your first novel. :)

Jewel Allen said...

I love the 70s through my sister's eyes. She got me hooked on all the cool music from that era.

And congrats on the 70k...awesome!