Sunday, October 12, 2008

If This Keeps Up I'll Be Able to Wash My Hair

Thanks everyone for the well wishes yesterday. There were a couple hours of really heavy rain - I had towels draped on the windows and had to wring them out every ten minutes - but otherwise it was business as usual. The temperature dropped to the low 70s and I wore a long sleeve shirt for the third time since we've lived here. Better yet, we slept without a fan! What a nice change from the scorching heat.

Today the sun is back out and the clouds are fluffy white. I don't think this is the last of the hard rain, but for now I'm taking advantage of the nice weather. Since our washing machine is on the deck, it's a little challenging to do laundry during a storm, and I have to jump on it when the sun peeks out.

One other thing I plan to do today? Wash my hair. I think I've mentioned that we don't have hot water. Instead the water temperature is dependent on the amount of sun during the day. It's stored in large black containers on the roof called tanakas and when it's sunny we have hot water. On the flip side, when it's stormy and gloomy, we have freezing cold water. On days like yesterday I try to jump around before my shower so I work up a sweat, but it just wasn't happening. The water was so cold my breath caught as soon as I stepped in and I made the quick decision to skip washing my hair. I typically lather, rinse, repeat every other day but due to the storms I think today is Day #4 sans shampoo. Aren't you glad I'm thousands of miles away? ;)

I only edited three pages yesterday. It's hard to concentrate when you have to wring out towels and mop EVERY ten minutes. I'm hoping today will be a little more productive since my self-imposed deadline is in less than two weeks. Then my BFF will be here, and as soon as she leaves - NaNo!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope! Never moving to Mexico... not gonna do it! I need my hot showers. Can't live without them. Glad you made it through the storms!

Rachel Burton said...

I remember the cold showers in Peru. You'd think after a while, you'd get used to it, but nope. It's just as shocking each new day.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Turkey, we actually have a water heater, we just don't use it. Not everyone freezes.

Rachel, you're right. Most days it's plenty comfortable but yesterday was one of those when we debated hooking up the water heater. Oh, and I generally don't shower until later in the day when both me and the water have had a chance to warm up.

Robin said...

Part of me thinks, "That stinks!", but part of me wonders if Mexico is way in front of us in ecology or something.

I almost wish I were doing the NaNo, because it would be fun to do it with a friend!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I know!

Polly Kahl said...

Hi Melanie, I came over from Robin's blog. I just finished my memoir and an shopping it to agents. I went on vacation to Mexico for ten days years ago and just loved it. We avoided the resorts and stayed in a small town. It was very rustic and charming and we had a great time.

colbymarshall said...

aw, so sorry for your messy situation! I hope things clear up soon.

Janna Leadbetter said...

Sounds soppy and all, but I bet you did totally enjoy that reprieve from the heat. Hope you get some clean locks soon!

Spy Scribbler said...

Awww... our hot water heater was broken for six weeks one summer. It was torture!

Have you heard of the baby powder in hair trick? Comb a little in, and it looks normal instead of greasy. :-)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Welcome Polly! Yes, there are nice things about Mexico, I just try to share all the wacky things you may not see on vacation.

Colby, things are clean now but it just started sprinkling!

Janna, yes, the cool air was wonderful.

Spy, I have heard of that but my hair doesn't really get greasy (yes, I'm lucky). It just gets that not-so-fresh feeling, lol.