Sunday, June 29, 2008

Musical Meme

Janna tagged me again but this is a fun one. I'm supposed to list seven songs that I'm really into, or are shaping my life in some way. Let me start by apologizing if I depress you in any way; seems I'm in a very melancholic mood these days.

First we have Si No Te Hubieras Ido by ManĂ¡, my favorite Mexican band. They're kind of like U2 for English-speakers, or at least they seem that way to me. I'm limiting myself to one Spanish entry, but I have to include my other ManĂ¡ favorites: Mariposa, which is HUGE here (we even sang karaoke to it last night), and Clavado en un Bar. Love them!

Next is Coldplay's Fix You. Sara from AW mentioned the other day and I thought "That's the song that's been stuck in my head!" Thanks Sara. :)

Then we have the first of my two copies from Janna. Say It Right, by Nelly Furtado, is a cool dance song that came out the month before I left Chicago. It's a cool mellow beat that is probably meant to make people move, but it just makes me cry. Every time. It makes me think of the last nights I spent with my friends, trying to soak up everything before I left. I was scared to leave, scared of my future, and I missed my husband terribly. He'd already been in Mexico for two months and we'd only been married for six. This song is a bit masochistic for me because I love it, but it makes me long for what I can't have.

Next comes love. Most people missed a movie called Happy Endings, starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, but she sings in it and the soundtrack has become one of my favorites. Here she sings I Can't Wait, a song that gives me hope and reminds me of those butterflies at the beginning of a relationship. WARNING: there's a bit of swearing in the first 30 seconds, before the song starts.

While we're on movies, my favorite is Moulin Rouge and I can't get enough of Ewan McGreggor and Nicole Kidman singing Come What May. *le sigh*

My second Janna copy is Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis. Beautiful voice, beautiful song, more longing... are you depressed yet?

Finally, the ultimate I'm sad and why not listen to a song to make me sadder? song: U2's Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. I usually listen to this when I want to remind myself that it's ok to lean on others to help you through the rough times, but then I remember that all my loved ones are thousands of miles away and I'm back where I started.

Now I'm stuck in YouTubeLand. I hope you've enjoyed my selections. Let me know what you think. :)

6 comments:

WendyCinNYC said...

Great songs!

and

Cheer up!

Spy Scribbler said...

Ohmigosh, that's a soundtrack I want: Moulin Rouge! That's one of my favorite all-time movies.

You just got me addicted to Mana. What is it about a rolled R that turns me on? Which is their (his?) best album? I wish I could speak Spanish. I especially like the last one. Man, is that a cool song! What does it mean?

I've been listening to that Coldplay song lately, too.

Wow, Nelly Furtado is very cool. I like "I'm Like a Bird."

(And yes, I did just spend an hour and a half not writing to listen to tunes, LOL! I've been music deprived!)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I think I lost about three hours to YouTube yesterday, then another half hour today tracking down the songs I found.

Spy, if you love Moulin Rouge as much as me, I'm curious if the different versions of Come What May were as irritating to you? I only like how it was done in the movie; the other is too processed. I spent half an hour just on songs from the movie (love the tango!).

As for Mana, I don't know much about them but everyone seems to love them. Not sure how many albums but they've been around long enough I'd assume they have a greatest hits album. As for what the lyrics mean, I'd have to spend some quality time with it to figure that out!

Janna Leadbetter said...

You were right about the tissues. And you gave me goosebumps, too.

"*le sigh*" lol!

Janna Leadbetter said...

I forgot to mention, Coldplay is one of my favorite bands!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Goosebumps? Really? That's cool. :)