Monday, June 16, 2008

It's Raining Styrofoam

This morning I woke up to the sound of someone drilling the bedroom ceiling. The concrete ceiling. The developers have promised to finish all the work within the next couple weeks and one of the final projects is our roof deck. I use the word "deck" loosely since right now it's basically a concrete slab with water tanks and a couple palapas (thatch umbrella thingys).

The key piece they're working on now is a wall to keep people from falling off. We asked about it at the building Christmas party and (ticks off fingers) six months later it's finally happening. Building a wall doesn't normally require drilling, but remember my post a few weeks ago with the picture of our satellite dish? The one on the edge of the wall-less roof? Yeah, that needed to move.

Fortunately Ibis took it upon himself to move the dish (I was worried the workmen would drop it) and an hour later and several calls to the satellite company, we had signal again. Since I was awake I got out of bed to start my morning cleaning, and was greeted with this:

Zooming doesn't seem to be my strong suit, so what you're looking at are little styrfoam balls. Why is there styrofoam on your deck? you ask? Because of the materials used to build in Mexico. Most buildings are concrete and they use inch-thick styrofoam sheets with a metal frame/cage-like support around it. If you drill deep enough into the concrete, you hit foam. Pull out the drill and voila!

While I was on the deck I remembered to take a picture of our washer/dryer unit. Yes, I have a nice view while doing laundry. The white plastic box on the far wall is a retractable clothesline. I stood in front of the kitchen sink to take the picture, so this is also my view when I wash dishes.

8 comments:

WendyCinNYC said...

Styrofoam, seriously? That seems really...sturdy. Oh well, at least if your house falls into a large body of water, it will float.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

They cover it with cement so it's sturdy. I don't know if that makes it more earthquake-proof or if it's just cheaper. The corners and beams are solid concrete.

The wall on the patio in the picture is made from that material.

Janna Leadbetter said...

That is a great view! Can I come do my laundry at your place?

Spy Scribbler said...

Okay, this is crazy, but my reaction to this post is somehow: I want to live in Mexico for a couple years!

Even though the styrofoam would freak me out. :-)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

You all (meaning Wendy, Spy & Janna) are welcome to come do laundry or just hang out. :) Keep in mind we don't have hot water, despite the hot water heater next to the dryer, so if we really need to clean something we have to boil water. But it's not so bad.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Oh, and there's more styrofoam this morning. And banging.

Anonymous said...

That view is awesome! I've never heard of someone having their washer and drier outside. What happens when it rains? Is this common in Mexico?

Hope the construction finishes soon so you don't have such a mess.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

It's common here to have your washer outside but most people don't have a dryer. Rainy season just started and we bought a canvas to cover it, but haven't set it up yet. We need to attach a few hooks to the wall and it's an ordeal since it's concrete. Last summer we used the plastic from a new mattress but I had a fight with it and threw it away. :)