Monday, November 12, 2007

What Am I Doing in Mexico?

Getting ready to leave! I fly to Michigan this Wednesday - for two weeks! - and I can't wait. I'm supposed to be editing but instead I'm taking pictures of the condo to show people back home. I packed yesterday so I wouldn't screw around today, but that plan is failing miserably.

The only odd thing to report is a marked increase in the number of gunshots in the neighborhood. I don't think anyone's been shot, it seems to be more of a celebratory thing, but they startle me every time. What are we celebrating? I have no clue, but they sure are happy!

Along those same lines, the neighbors have been lighting firecrackers for about a week. Ibis said they just went on sale for Christmas (I don't understand what the two have to do with one another) and that's why we hear them at all hours of the day. It's louder at night, obviously, but a few go off every hour, regardless of the sun's position in the sky. I guess there's something to be said for big bangs, even if you can't see the light.

I will be here for Christmas, so if I discover the correlation between the birth of Christ and fireworks, I'll let you know.

No comments: