Friday, November 9, 2007

I Knew I Was Forgetting Something

If you've been reading along, you know I finished the first draft of my memoir last week and started the evil editing a few days later. I've found a new friend & beta-reader, and she's helped kick my butt in gear, yet I still have that niggling feeling that I'm forgetting something.

I've breezed through my draft, glanced over the chapters, and for the most part, things are where they should be. I shuffled a few sections around & double-checked the order of my chapters when it hit me.

I haven't written about the immigration process. D'oh.

The one-line description of my book (so far) is "A fish-out-of-water tale with an illegal immigration twist." Might be important to include a detail or two about immigration.

*bangs head against desk*

Don't get me wrong. I've mentioned the illegal part, meeting with our lawyer, that sort of thing, but I haven't gone into the particulars. How am I supposed to pitch a book when I forgot to write my hook? I knew I'd have a lot of rewriting to do, so the work isn't a surprise, just my ignorance.

Ibis pointed out this is my first book and I can't expect to get it right the first try, so I guess I'll chalk this up to experience.

No comments: