Friday, April 3, 2009

What a Week

This week has been a blur. The couple days (beginning over the weekend) I was working 12-14 hours per day finalizing my family's website, then as soon as it launched, I had to start the design for another project. I love that I'm already using my new skills, but man, I'm not used to having so little time to myself. I've been rather spoiled these past two years.

Fortunately my client loves the design -- I believe his words were "You are absolutely a genius" -- so that will make the rest of the process much easier. Then I have one more to knock out after that.

I finally managed to write 500 words yesterday, for the first time since last Friday. I hate not working on it, but paying projects have to take priority right now. Two pages isn't much, but if I can force myself to write that much each day, I'll get this thing done in a couple weeks. I write fairly quickly once I get to it (that took about an hour) so I just need to force myself.

Yesterday Ibis and I went to the beach for the afternoon, and it was the first time we've gone alone in over three months. It was nice to fall back into our old routine and spend some quiet time together without the distractions of the TV or internet. Of course, his idea of relaxing is play soccer for half and hour, rest in the shade for five minutes, play soccer for half an hour, rest for five minutes, and so on. I managed to extend one of the rest periods to an hour so I could read a bit, but I certainly got a lot of exercise. The best part? My stamina has totally improved. I finished the 30-Day Shred earlier this week and while I haven't lost the weight I wanted, I have better endurance, and I'll take that.

I also went to the dentist yesterday for a cleaning. I was a little nervous going into it, but I keep reading about all these Americans crossing the border for cheap dental care, so I figured it would be all right. Once I sat in the chair, I suddenly panicked about the water situation. Would they have one of those little water squirty things? Would the water be clean? Answer: Nope, and yes. They gave me a cup of water and just had me rinse every few minutes.

He used a drill to clean my teeth, and while I'm going to leave the descriptions to your imaginations, I will tell you that my teeth are clean and he didn't do any damage. He told me I have all kinds of problems that need repaired, for a total of 5000 pesos, but these are all things I've had in the past that no dentist has felt a need to fix. I plan to do a little investigating online, but I know how to monitor them and they should be fine.

Finally, I'm reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, and I'm loving it. I found it in the lending library where Ibis works but couldn't motivate myself to start reading. This is one of those books that has received so much hype that I figured it wouldn't live up to the reviews. So far, it is, and it's funnier than I expected. It's certainly not a comedy, but it has it's moments. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. And the only sparkly things are the circus performers' costumes!

Have a great weekend!

17 comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Wow, isn't that like $400? Did that include a root canal by chance? I could fly down and visit you for a week, AND go to the dentist, for cheaper than I spent on dental care last year. (Well, if I rudely invite myself to sleep on your floor, LOL!) AND I went to the "cheap" university student place.

Spy Scribbler said...

(Oh! And I totally agree with the genius assessment. I know you think I'm saying that because I'm your friend, but it's not true. That I'm saying it because you're my friend, I mean.)

JLC said...

Ack! Dentist! *runs away and hides*

Congrats on your website and new project! Of course you are a genius!

Unknown said...

Cleaning your teeth with a drill? Interesting...

I loved Water for Elephants. Read it last October in Zihua.

Glad you and Ibis got some alone time although all of that action would make me crazy. He must not believe that we can lay around as much as we do when we are there. I am just a slug. Guess that is why he is nice and slender and we are not!!

Janna Leadbetter said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading about your week. Nap time!

Have a super weekend.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Spy, that's about the cost, yeah. I don't think it's a root canal. My gums are receding a bit but it's usually because I brush too hard. When I lighten up, it's always healed itself.

You can stay with us for your dental care! We have a spare room with a real bed and everything. :)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Turkey, the best part was the chair wasn't bolted to the floor so every time his wife/assistant bumped the attached table I jiggled all over. While the drill was in my mouth.

(and thanks)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Mary, Ibis is going to try a different dentist because he knows he needs some more serious work done. I said if they use the same cleaning method I'll consider going back to this guy. If not, I'm outta there.

LOL, he knows you're all on vacation and expects the guests to lay around. My dad couldn't believe how little he sits still, even on his days off. The minute he rests, he falls asleep, so it's pretty much all or nothing.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Janna, I have been falling asleep much earlier this week. I think my brain needs rest.

Stephen Parrish said...

I just finished reading Water for Elephants last night. Like you, I didn't expect it to live up to the hype, but I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Stephen, I've been pleasantly surprised, that's for sure. I love the build-up in the present day when he's getting ready to visit the you-know-what.

Jen said...

Congrats on the paying projects!! And Water For Elephants rocked. Loved that book.

I am speechless on the dentist front...I's askeered of them to begin with. Yikes!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Jen, I was proud of myself for how calm I was. I started to panic when the drill was still going ten minutes later, but I kept telling myself that my teeth were just very 'sucio', as he put it, lol.

Nadine said...

I'm excited you are reading Water for Elephants! I really liked that book!

*shudders at the dentist* I'm not a dentist fan. I need to go on my next trip home, but I'm definitely not looking forward to it.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Nadine, I finished it early this morning. It was soooo good!

Robin said...

I love the idea that you were worried about the water they used. It totally makes sense, but it's also very funny in a Seinfeldish way!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Robin, that's a totally valid concern! :P Earlier this week I accidentally swallowed a DROP of water while brushing my teeth -- actually it was the moistened toothpaste, not even the water -- and things were, uh, liquid for a day.