Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Startled by a Cruise Ship

No matter how many times I see it, I cannot get used to the image of a ginormous cruise ship anchored here in town. Cannot. Sure, it fits the scenery - rough mountains circling a glimmering bay, the sun bouncing off fishing boats dotted throughout the water* - but when I go out on the balcony to change loads of laundry I DO NOT expect to see a Carnival luxury liner.

(I just double-checked, it is a Carnival ship.)

You'd think I'd be accustomed to it by now. One stops here at least once a week, sometimes as often as three or four times, and we can see them from our place. But being a Midwest girl, cruise ships are not among the things I expect to see when looking out my window.

Things I do expect to see: stray dogs, clothes hanging to dry, children playing basketball, naked babies, the gas truck, pigeons, cats chasing the pigeons, junk people have thrown on their roofs, trees, mountains, and smoke.

Anyway, I am happy to see it because it brings lots of tourists, who bring lots of money, which means families will be fed tonight.

Speaking of which, Ibis just started cooking lunch & the smell of garlic is drifting in from the kitchen. For those of you who haven't seen pictures of our place & don't already know, I should really say the oil from the stove is splattering me since the kitchen is 2 feet from my desk.

Bon appetit!


*Sorry about that. Moment of weakness. I'm dizzy with hunger.

1 comment:

Cate Gardner said...

And don't they make a fascinating view. In not so sunny Liverpool, we have just had a new cruise terminal built outside our offices and when the QEII rolled up a couple of months ago the whole office was at the window...

And a guy was spotted jumping into the pool on a wet and windy British day - go figure!