Saturday, February 9, 2008

Thai Take-Out Would Be Lovely

My parents are packing up their bags and getting ready to head home where it's currently hovering around 10 degrees and snowy. Poor things. We've had quite a week and all of us are exhausted, but they've loved the warm weather.

Last night we went on a sunset cruise aboard a catamaran then had a late dinner in town. We've eaten out for most of our meals and I'm getting a little tired of Mexican food. Yes, I realize I'm in Mexico and that's the most common food available, but we don't eat out much and tend to cook our own meals.

There is a variety of restaurants in the area but only a few are worth the money. We've yet to venture into the local Chinese place, although I've heard decent things about the one sushi joint. In Chicago we ate Thai at least once a week and peanut sauce lovers with a side of curry sounds wonderful right about now.

We still have one meal left before they head to the airport so maybe I'll ask them to whip up an extra-large order of pad thai. Wish me luck with that. ;)

5 comments:

Virginia Lee said...

I understand to a degree how you feel. It was hard to find anything that wasn't fried or BBQ when we lived in Mississippi. My cooking skills improved greatly there as a result.

How did your meal go?

Melanie Hooyenga said...

LOL, I had a lovely cheeseburger and fries. I felt like I should explain to the waiter that I really do appreciate all the fine food they have and I'm not an ignorant tourist, but I didn't.

The burger was delicious.

Unknown said...

You know, I wondered about that: how different is Mexican food in Mexico from Mexican food in the U.S.? I know there's some difference, because things become Americanized, like the yummy steak and portabello fajitas I had at Chili's the other night. Mmmmmm.

Kristine said...

Ha ha, I have some peanut sauce in my refrigerator, that I made the other night, if you'd like some?

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Kris - yes, please.

Plaid - there's no melted cheese all over things. It's more fresh tomato & onion, often avocado or guacamole, and lots of rice & beans & tortillas.