Monday, February 22, 2010

Never Say Goodbye 'til It's Closing Time


Yes, I have a medley of farewell songs running through my head. I'd also forgotten how exhausting it is to say goodbye to everyone, and I hardly even know anyone here. In Chicago I had a full week of goodbye parties and I still didn't get to see a couple people. So far there aren't any welcome back parties planned, but I'm sure something can be arranged...

Anyway, saying goodbye sucks. I'm sure most of you have moved at some point in your life and I hate that niggling feeling that I'm forgetting something or someone. We saw Ibis' entire family yesterday -- that was bittersweet, to say the least, although seeing my baby niece with a mohawk more than made up for that -- and there's only one person left that I'd still like to track down before I go.


Today I ship my computer and let's not even talk about how freaked out I am about that. The DHL store here doesn't sell boxes large enough for my iMac, so Ibis fashioned a box out of cardboard and foam that will hopefully keep my baby intact. I am planning to insure it, and really, beyond that there's nothing I can do so I'll just try not to think about it.

I have a final post scheduled for tomorrow, but in the meantime, I have an essay up at a new blog, An Army of Ermas. I'm one of nearly two dozen contributors and so far we seem to have quite a variety of stories.

17 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

My tummy is nervous for you. But I'm sending love and huggles for your journey!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

That makes two of us...

Adam said...

*Hugs and pokes*

Adam

weeghosties said...

Sa-weeeet faux-hawk! Think I'll grab the hair gel and do the same to Vyolette today.

*yodels and hugs*

Melanie Hooyenga said...

*throws a sock at Adam*

Stacey, she didn't seem to have anything in her hair -- it just did that!

Spy Scribbler said...

The mohawk rocks! What a cutie! :-)

Yeah, I'm feeling your move in my tummy, too. :-( And my heart. It's a good thing you can't see me, 'cause I'll probably cry like an idiot when you post that you're leaving Ibis. :-(

*hugs*

Rachel Burton said...

Good luck! WE've moved ten times since we've been married and it never gets easier. Enjoy those last few moments and safe travels!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

The computer is going soon... I feel like I keep saying that. We have Owen's papers and a sedative, so now it's all my stuff.

WendyCinNYC said...

Aw, this makes me sad. Good luck on your move.

Robin said...

I want to be supportive and encouraging, yet sensitive to keep in mind that you're leaving your loved ones. Here goes:

Waaaah!!!! Be safe! Have a good trip! Hang tough, Owen! It's going to be great! Everything will work out! You can do it! Rah! Rah!

Did the "waaah" wreck it?

Jen said...

I think the nervousness is contagious. I hope all goes well, esp. w/ the compy.

I'd be freaked at shipping my laptop anywhere, too!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Wendy.

Robin, the wahhh did sort of detract from the overall message, but it also made me laugh, so two points for you.

Jen, this is my iMac! Ironically, the box of books weighed more than the computer though...

erica m. chapman said...

I hope you and Owen have a safe trip. Thinking of you and Ibis and sending *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Melanie,

Wishing you the best on your move.

AvDB said...

What a great tribute to your history in Mexico. Funny, touching, sweet... I try to live by the Taoist belief that things work out the way they need to, no matter what you may think of it at the time. I'm very much hoping this is true for your sake.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks everyone.

Avery, I try to maintain that same outlook on life.

Nadine said...

((hugs))

Goodbyes always suck. Always. :(