Monday, February 15, 2010

Another "Last" and a Beginning

Remember my post last week where I was all jazzed to start the edits on After the Fall? Yeah, I haven't started those yet. I did, however, write a couple pages for my NEW, yet-to-be-properly-titled-or-talked-about-in-public, YA wip.

This is the first time I've been so aware of a character's voice right from the beginning, and I hope that means I won't have to spend a draft fixing voice issues (like I am now with ATF). I find it fairly easy to talk like a teenager, but I don't want THIS character to sound like the teenager in my other book, so I'm making the effort now.

Then I swear I'll get going on my edits.

In other news, Friday night Ibis and I went to dinner with my dad at our favorite restaurant, Il Mare. It's on a rocky outcrop between Playa Madera and Playa La Ropa and overlooks Zihuatanejo Bay. It's usually hit or miss whether or not we'll get a nice sunset, and we TOTALLY lucked out.


We went a little crazy taking pictures -- my dad's eyeballs were permanently locked in the back of his skull -- but how often do you get a backdrop like this? We joked that the people at the table next to us probably thought we were nuts, but then they started taking pictures too.

Now I can cross off "eat at Il Mare" AND "take fabulous sunset pictures with my sweetie."

16 comments:

Robin said...

That is such a sweet picture! You both look absolutely gorgeous and happy. Nice bucket list!

Tana said...

I have sunset jealousy. Is that a real issue? ;)

Lisa Miles said...

I love the pictures you took!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Thanks Robin. I hadn't thought of it that way, but I guess it is in a way.

T. Anne, I'll take your word on it. ;)

Thanks Lisa!

erica m. chapman said...

Beautiful picture! Wow, that is a fabulous backdrop!

Moll said...

Don't you just love when the weather cooperates?

And have fun with your new wip. Sounds like you are in those heady and fun early days!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new WIP!! And glad to hear all the paperwork is in order. I'll be looking forward to you living in a safer place. (hugs)

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Erica, we have some great pictures!

Rebecca, I keep getting more and more ideas for it!

Jen, it's just about all there. I have to return to Immigration on Thursday so they can give me something that allows me to leave the country.

Jon VanZile said...

Very pretty ... I know what it's like to say goodbye to place. Kind of bittersweet.

Lyra said...

That looks like one of those painted backdrops that you stand in front of for glamour shots. It is gorgeous. I'm glad you got the restaurant and the sunset at the same time.

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Lurker, very much so.

Lyra, that's what I kept saying! It looked JUST like a fake backdrop.

Amy DeTrempe said...

What a beautiful sunset. I am a bit jealous.

Aunt Sue said...

Great pix! How will this compare with Spring Lake???

Melanie Hooyenga said...

Hi Amy!

Aunt Sue, SL still gets some nice sunsets. Cold, but nice. :)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Oh, yeah, the sunset it nice too! :)

Nadine said...

Yay for pages on the new WIP!!

Beautiful sunset!!!