Monday, July 21, 2008

A New Predator

Can I take back all my complaints about cockroaches? And ants? And bees? And geckos? Although really, I like the geckos, they just startle me more times than not. The other day a baby one clung to my sandal (that was on my foot) when I was sweeping the floor.

Seems we have a new pest. One that makes me want to vomit just thinking about it.

Yesterday I was peeling a mango and noticed a couple brown spots. No big deal, I thought, it is produce, after all. Then I noticed a little white, wiggling worm. A maggot. In my mango.

*vomit*

I did what any person not raised around lots of bugs would do: I threw it in the trash. I didn't stop to think that maybe I should try to kill the maggot before tossing it in a container full of discarded food. This morning I pulled out the trash and, you guessed it, maggots. Plural.

I ran the bag downstairs to the garbage bins (we don't really have bins but that sounds nicer than the garbage pile on the sidewalk) before more could escape, but when I returned to the kitchen, they were all over the floor. I sprayed them with all kinds of cleaners, but they kept on inching across the floor. I was forced to do something that I avoid as best I can.

I squished them.

*vomit*

Not with my bare hands! Oh god, no. With many paper towels (I swear I'm trying to be an environmentalist) soaked in bug spray. That seemed to work. Ibis and I went for a long walk, and when I returned, more maggots. I couldn't figure out where they were coming from so this time, I pulled out the big gun: bleach.

I bleached the entire floor, then scrubbed every surface in my kitchen. Two hours later, I think I may have won.

This round.

18 comments:

spyscribbler said...

Oh gosh! This is one of the reasons it's nice to live where it snows once a year, you know?

*shudder*

Yay for Melanie! The Conqueror of the Kitchen!

WendyCinNYC said...

Oh yuck. You make me feel a lot better about my ant invasion.

Robin said...

That's it. I'm taking out my brain so I don't have the squishing maggots with paper towels image in my head anymore. Yeesh.

Zoe Winters said...

heh we had a gnat problem once. It was so awful.

Janna Qualman said...

Oh, so sorry. Couldn't finish post after I saw maggots. With an s.

*rubs crawling goosebumps away*

Ugh.

Ed Pahule said...

I can tolerate most bugs, but maggots. Ick.

Nadine said...

I with you on the vomit thing. I hope the bleach got rid of them all!

Aimless Writer said...

I hate bugs worse then anything else.
I have to go take a shower now.
eeewwwww!
Then I'm going to have to go bleach something for good measure.

sorry you had to experience this!

auria cortes said...

I read the first sentence and stopped. I'm a tomboy, but when it comes to insects I'm such a girl!

Melanie Avila said...

OMG! You all crack me up! Thank you for the support, especially those of you who bleached things for me, lol. :D

I haven't seen any more so I think the bleach worked. I swear I'll be more careful next time.

colbymarshall said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Maggots are the single most disgusting thing ever. The end.

Turkey Lurkey said...

Bleh!

lostgirl said...

OMG!!!! ROFL You *really* do have the best stories... I can't decide if I'm laughing because it's hilarious or to block the puke reflex...

You rock MC HOO!!! ROCK!!!!

Melanie Avila said...

Thanks LG!

Turkey, sorry for grossing you out. :D

Jen said...

Maggots? Oiy.

*gags*

Are the maggots still history? :)

Melanie Avila said...

Yes, we seem to have the all clear. Now there's a baby gecko dying on my patio. :(

Jes said...

haha, no, I'm still here. I'm just in Guadalajara for a couple weeks and for grampa's birthday. We were at my cousin's the other day though, eating chicken and fighting off all the damn flies. I fixed a plate to take to my grandmother who lives close by my cousin. I set the plate on the car seat, I swear, no more than five minutes, and when I went back to get in the car, a feckin' fly left maggots all over the meat. I was so grossed out I was gagging for about an hour afterwards. *SHHHHIVERRRRR*

Melanie Avila said...

Jes! Thanks for posting, I think. That story is DISGUSTING! In your car? Ugh!