Saturday, October 27, 2007

Here We Go

I wasn't kidding about something happening every day. An hour after I posted last night, while I was still playing around with the design here, my husband, Ibis, came home and announced I have a job. Now, I didn't ask for a job. I'm quite content to sit in front of my computer, writing my book and chatting with friends online, but he seems to think we need money to survive.

A couple weeks ago he came home from his night class and declared he found me a job teaching English at a high school. Yes, I speak English, have all my life, but I don't know the first thing about teaching it. After a mild panic attack I told him I didn't think I was ready for something like that and please tell the director thanks, but no thanks.

He arranged for us to give two private lessons last week, but the students never showed. I was panicked about the private lessons but at least the lessons would be one-on-one, not me standing in front of a roomful of angsty teens.

Cut to last night. He came home and announced the director of his school handed him a book and told him I start teaching class on Monday. Apparently my sweet husband never actually spoke to the director. Ibis says he tried, but the director was always busy. So, now I'm teaching a class of thirty-odd students. At least I have a lesson plan/book. No interview, no idea what to wear, not sure what I'm getting paid. Oh, and no work permit, but I'm sure that'll get sorted out.

It's a two-week class, they devote that amount of time to each topic, so at least I know there's an end in sight. I originally thought I'd be teaching at a regular high school but now I find out it's the class across the hall from Ibis' class, so I can already imagine them asking me to teach his class next. At least I'll be able to get him back for throwing me into this completely unprepared.

I'm not panicking as much as I expected but I'm sure by Monday afternoon I'll be a nervous wreck. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Melanie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Melanie!! You can accomplish amazing things when you make friends with your nerves.

Jerry
Memory Writers Network

Kristine said...

Congratulations Mel. I'm sure you'll do great on Monday. Talk to you later!

Jenna said...

If anyone can do it it's you :)!

Melanie Hooyenga said...

I appreciate all the confidence - you guys know something I don't? Ha. My nerves are taking over...

jennifer said...

Blogger! I love it, and now I'm no longer anonymous!